JCT Compliance Service
JCT: Japanese Consumption Tax
- JCT registration
- Appointment as your tax agent in Japan
- Preparation of annual consumption tax returns
- Process tax payments to the authorities on your behalf
- Communication with tax authorities
- Tax audit attendance
- English communication
Have you completed your registration as a “Qualified Invoice Issuer”?
If not, you have to act now.
If you currently issue invoices to customers in Japan, this concerns you.
What is the Issue:
Your Japanese Customers Won’t be Able to Claim Consumption Tax Credits
The Japanese Consumption Tax (JCT) rules will be going through significant changes in 2023.
From October 1, 2023 and onward, a “Qualified Invoice” will be required for Japanese businesses to claim a credit for consumption taxes that were paid.
A “Qualified Invoice” can only be issued by businesses that have registered with the Japanese Tax Authorities as a “Qualified Invoice Issuer”.
What Should I Be Doing:
Register as “Qualified Invoice Issuer”
- Asses whether transactions with your Japanese customer is subject to JCT
- If yes, register as a “Qualified Invoice Issuer” with the Japanese Tax Authorities
- Provide Japanese customers invoices that meet the requirements of a “Qualified Invoice”
- Submit Japanese consumption tax returns
- Appoint a tax agent in Japan
When is the deadline?
March 31, 2023
The Japanese Tax Authorities are requiring applications of “Qualified Invoice Issuer” to be submitted by March 31, 2023.
Invoices that meet the requirements of a “Qualified Invoice” will need to be sent to customers starting on October 1, 2023.
Who in Japan can help me with this and other JCT challenges?
Japan Professional Alliance can offer immediate assistance in complying with the new “Qualified Invoice System” and other Japanese Tax requirements that you may have.
- Asses whether the transaction with your Japanese customer is subject to JCT
- Complete your registration as a “Qualified Invoice Issuer” with the Japanese Tax Authorities
- Provide you with an invoice template that meets the requirements of a “Qualified Invoice”
- Prepare and submit Japanese consumption tax returns
- Act as your tax agent in Japan
Reach out to us
Drop us a message using the form below and we can jump on a call to discuss your situation.
We look forward to hearing from you!